Not only does Michigan have a variety of wedding venues to choose from, but it also has an incredible selection of beachfront options! Since Michigan is also the only US state with two peninsulas, you’re sure to find a gorgeous locale that you both love. From lakefront views to the Detroit River, here’s our quick guide to beach weddings in Michigan.
Find the Perfect Venue
Choosing the perfect venue for a beach wedding can seem intimidating. We have quite the variety of waterfront options here in Michigan – whether you’re looking for a lake or river view, there’s a venue for every couple!
- Waterview Loft is one of our favorites, located right along the Detroit River. Its floor-to-ceiling glass windows are great for taking in the beautiful city views, while also being the perfect spot for either an indoor or outdoor wedding depending on the weather.
- The Veranda at The Whitcomb is another popular beach venue, known for its sprawling views of Lake Michigan. Experience a beautiful ceremony right on the sand or take it indoors during the colder months!
Neither of those what you are looking for? You can also see more of our favorite Lake Michigan wedding venues here. Between the two lists, you are sure to find a locale that is perfect for you.
Choose a Date
Since Michigan experiences all four seasons, we also see dramatic weather changes throughout the year. This is especially important to consider when choosing your date because your venue can advise you on both their indoor and outdoor options. Here are a few of our tips for choosing the perfect date for beach weddings in Michigan:
- It’s usually a good idea to avoid holidays and busy weekends as well so you can keep costs down and ensure your favorite venue has an available date too!
- While we do experience extreme weather at times in the summer and winter months, a spring or fall wedding date can be a perfect balance.
- If you’re planning for an outdoor wedding on the sand, we recommend springtime as you’ll also have some blooming flowers and a lake breeze for you and your guests!
Once you have a date and venue, now is the time to book! These places can fill up fast and you don’t want the perfect date to slip through your fingers.
A beach wedding is a perfect excuse to go a little more casual, not only with your dress but with decor and guest wardrobes as well. If you’re expecting warmer weather for your wedding, don’t be afraid to encourage guests to leave the fancy attire at home and go barefoot in the sand.
You can also have some fun with your wedding dress. A flowy dress looks gorgeous on the beach and can be dressed up or down to your preference. Add a dramatic train to trail over the sand or a low back with lace for some added elegance. You can see the rest of our favorite beach wedding dresses here as well. You can also book an appointment with us today! We are more than happy to help you find the perfect dress for the beach.
Why not get creative with your wedding theme and add a little seaside fun? From lighting decor to centerpieces and signs, you can be as elaborate as you’d like with decorations for your special day. For a more tropical feel, you can incorporate palm leaves and other greenery onto your ceremony arch with some beautiful flowers for a pop of color. Starfish are also a popular choice for a beachfront wedding and can be placed nearly anywhere such as aisle decor for your chairs.
Just a friendly warning. Even the warmest day can have a bit of wind at the beach, so be sure everything is weighed down to ensure it won’t blow away mid-ceremony!
You can also have some fun with your wedding gifts. Favors are even more fun when they fit in with the wedding theme. Try handing out beach towels or other useful favors to your guests. They will have a fun memento and something to use during the ceremony.
Are you ready to find your dream dress and start planning your beach wedding? Read through our checklist of what to bring dress shopping and book an appointment with us today!